A room with a view

If a house is a home, and if a home is someplace you live, then this is home and a house.  Or something.  Work has gone well; though because it's just me working on it, it's gone more slowly than my impatience would like.  As seems to be the way of the world with me, I worked on the room until I got sick, then I sat back, looked at my work, and rested.  The last time I did anything with concrete was when I was 8, and my inexperience shows in places.  I guess some day they'll be obscured by beausage, as Mr. Peterson would have it, but for the moment, every turn reminds me of something that could have been done better.  But it's been an interesting process all the way through from chipping the channels for the electric conduit in the walls, to running the electricity, to the mud finish, to the painted mud to smooth out and make the color of the walls more uniform, to the sealer that keeps the mud from dusting off, to tiling the floor, and on to making the wooden parts.  Here's a little photo-essay of the process so far.


This is after I had chipped the channels for the electric conduit, and put the wiring in.  


A form to hold the concrete in around the window frames.

Here, you can see the aplanado covering the electric conduit, and the first of the mud on the walls.

That there's a pile of mud!

Much later, I've finished the mud, put the tile down, and poured the slab for the counter.  I even have a reed mat for a door!

Same state as the last photo.  After I'd started sleeping up here.  Wow, that's a bad photo.

The door's done and in, and the first of the wooden bits is in, but not really finished.  The circle on the wall is light coming through the porthole behind me.

One curtain, two lights and a bookshelf!  Lousy photo, but I'm really happy with how the lights came out.  They give a really nice, low light.  They're different heights because that's how I wanted them to be.  I'm not THAT out of it. Oh, and that cord will be hidden by a desk that's going to go under the left light.

Comments

  1. I can say just - wow! It really big work!and all this did you yourself?
    Actually, this is my dream (one of) to make home for yourself or room, or just make interior in apartment. so cool to see this whole process - the first such uncertainty and behold, gradually develops into very cozy place. Yes, I like a light in last photo.In my room always a low light for night and evеning, it's so warm and cozy. I liked what you did! And what about ceiling?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts